move vm from one cluster to another on this same sahred storage

bromac

Renowned Member
Sep 14, 2014
Poland
Hi
I have a problem with the update proxmox from 3.4.9 to 4.1, for me, the best and quickest solution would be to install a clean Proxmox 4.1.
I have 4 Nodes in the cluster (A, B, C, D), which virtual machines are based on the same shared storage (SAN FC), all nodes on the same netowork.
The easiest way for me would be:
- VM migration from machine A to machine B
- Installed on the machine A proxmox 4.1
- 2x create a VM on machine B (2x node 4.1 proxmox) - still leave proxmox 3.4.9
- The machine A and 2x VM on machine B to create a new cluster proxmox 4.1
- The machine A hook in the same shared storage LVM
- Move (just how?) All VM from machine C to A
- Install on the machine C clean proxmox 4.1 and connect up to the new cluster
- Move all the VM from machine D to machine C
- Install on the machine D clean proxmox 4.1 and connect up to the new cluster
- (Here I already have three physical machines proxmox 4.1 in the new cluster) - absenting not need a VM (Virtual Nodes of the new cluster) out of the machine B
- Install clean proxmox 4.1 on machine B and I attach the new cluster
- Balances all VM between 4 Nodes in the new cluster

A couple of VM disks larger than 1TB so of backup and restore is pointless. I wonder if I can (I do not have HA), how can I connect to the new cluster disk resource for LVM on the shared storage to the new machine and then delete the VM on the old cluster, so:
Finally: how to remove VM from previous cluster without disk and connect disk on LVM to new VM on new cluster

Hi,
if the shared-storage and networksettings identical on your fresh 4.1 node A like the "old" 3.4 cluster you can easy "move" the VMs to node A:

Stop the VM (on node B) - as example VM 123.
Copy the VM-config to Node A:
Code:
# on node B
scp /etc/pve/qemu-server/123.conf node-a:/etc/pve/qemu-server/
Now the VM 123 appear on node-a. Start VM 123 on node-a and if all work, remove the vm on node-b with
Code:
rm /etc/pve/qemu-server/123.conf
Step by step with all VMs from node b - if node-b is empty you can remove the node from your old cluster, reinstall and add to the new cluster.

Udo

Last edited:
Reactions: bromac

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!