Move PVE OS to new disk(s)

WSDJamie

Nov 23, 2022
Hello,
I have proxmox installed on a ZFS mirrored set of SATADOMS. The SATADOMS are terrible and i'm needing to move the OS to some SSDs instead.
I'd really rather not start a fresh install if I don't have to.

Does anyone have any tips on moving the Proxmox OS to new disks?

I guess one way I could do it would be to add the 2.5 inch SSDs to the mirror pool, resilver the data and then remove the SATADOMS. But I wonder what other ideas are out there.

I would advice to instead do a new pool with your new drives and use zfs send and zfs receive.

Note that special care should be taken if the pool contains a bootable device as in this case, see [1], section "Changing a failed bootable device".

Adding the devices to the pool and resilvering should work if the new drives are at least bigger than the old ones but I would recommend to use send and receive instead.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_zfs

Reactions: WSDJamie and Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!