Move Operating System to different storage

Zetto

Jan 17, 2023
Hi All,

I searched if someone posted about this before but couldn't find anything. My problem is that my Proxmox Server (the operating system) is currently hosted on an m.2 SSD that is in one of these PCIe cards. Works great but I would rather use the PCIe slot for something else now so my idea is to move the operating system to an SSD connected via SATA. Anyone got an idea if this is possible without having to reinstall proxmox and how to do it? Thank you

In general and for most people is a simple backup & reinstall & restore the easiest and less time consuming way.

Now to some pointers:
  • Best to migrate from a smaller to a larger disk. This is MUCH easier.
  • if you use UEFI, it is a little bit harder, you have to do more.
  • if you use ZFS, it may be easier
So please describe what you currently have in as much detail as you can (minimal the output of df).

In general and for most people is a simple backup & reinstall & restore the easiest and less time consuming way.

Now to some pointers:
  • Best to migrate from a smaller to a larger disk. This is MUCH easier.
  • if you use UEFI, it is a little bit harder, you have to do more.
  • if you use ZFS, it may be easier
So please describe what you currently have in as much detail as you can (minimal the output of df).
This is the df output.
Screenshot 2023-06-14 160455.png

I just followed the standard proxmox installation on a single drive, no raid. So probably UEFI. I did some modifications to the OS to passthrough a GPU to a Windows VM and was hoping I can avoid having to redo that. Is there a way to backup the OS and restore on a another drive or do you mean backup and restore each VM in a fresh Proxmox installation?

do you mean backup and restore each VM in a fresh Proxmox installation?
This.

So probably UEFI.
Yes, the mountpoint /boot/efi implies that.

This is the df output.
So what about your disk sizes? Is your target disk at least as big as your source disk? If so, it is easier. One way to go is clonezilla, are you familiar with it?

I did some modifications to the OS to passthrough a GPU to a Windows VM and was hoping I can avoid having to redo that.
That depends on how much time you spend on trying and documenting your changes. Learning how to move all your disk to another storage may be much more time consuming than just reinstalling. Therefore I wrote the "in general" part, because it IS the most time efficient way to do that for people asking how to do that.

This.

Yes, the mountpoint /boot/efi implies that.

So what about your disk sizes? Is your target disk at least as big as your source disk? If so, it is easier. One way to go is clonezilla, are you familiar with it?

That depends on how much time you spend on trying and documenting your changes. Learning how to move all your disk to another storage may be much more time consuming than just reinstalling. Therefore I wrote the "in general" part, because it IS the most time efficient way to do that for people asking how to do that.
Ok, thank you very much. Sounds like I'm better off re-installing proxmox than trying to migrate the OS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!