Move backups from disk to disk

escaparrac

Jun 2, 2022
Hi guys.

Before putting big disks into my PVE I had 2 ssd zfs mirrored with proxmox and a nvme to host my VMs and CTs.

I created all the VMs and CTs and when everything was working, I did some backups in the SSD zfs mirror. Now I want to free that NVME drive to host only VMs/CTs and move the backups to the backup drives.

1654768982615.png
1654769087398.png

How do I do it? I don't see any option in the GUI and I tried to connect via SCP but I don't understand correctly how the data is distributed. I tried to look into the forums but no success.

Apart from the backups, If I could move the ISOs and CT templates that would be awesome, but that's not a hassle since I can reupload them again. Any help or guide that I could read?

Thank you :D

Reactions: DvdNwk
Your pve-backups storage should be some folder on the disk. You can find the folder under Datacenter/Storage and then double clicking the storage of your backups.

In this folder there should be a subfolder dumps that contains your backups. If you move that folder to the new location, the backups should be visible there.

Your pve-backups storage should be some folder on the disk. You can find the folder under Datacenter/Storage and then double clicking the storage of your backups.

In this folder there should be a subfolder dumps that contains your backups. If you move that folder to the new location, the backups should be visible there.
I love you mate. It was so easy that I couldn't see it..

1654792661273.png

I'm moving everything and setting up the cron jobs. Thank you!

Reactions: shrdlicka

Do you mean double click in web GUI right ?, when I double click the storage, it just show the setting window

Hi,
Do you mean double click in web GUI right ?, when I double click the storage, it just show the setting window
yes, in the settings window you can see which directory/path on the system is used for the storage. The web UI doesn't have an integrated file browser, so moving the backup files needs to be done via CLI or desktop environment.

Reactions: bligher and forted
Hi,

yes, in the settings window you can see which directory/path on the system is used for the storage. The web UI doesn't have an integrated file browser, so moving the backup files needs to be done via CLI or desktop environment.
haha, thank you ^^.

Reactions: amomp3
I think is good idea to add to possibility to move backup to another storage by the GUI
Yes, that's an interesting and might be useful in some situations - instead of being forced to delete some of them to free up space for example.

This forum is mainly used by community members (though actively supported by several staff members, thanks!) so to make the actual developers aware of this idea you may put it on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ as a "Feature request". (Not as an actual bug.)

Best regards

in the settings window you can see which directory/path on the system is used for the storage
Not really… Unless I'm looking into a wrong place?

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 01.46.56.png

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 01.47.57.png

As far as I have figured out for now, the backups are in `STORAGE/dump/`, where `STORAGE` depends on the concrete storage.

For `local` storage, the backups are in `/var/lib/vz/dump/`, while for a directory storage it might be in like `/mnt/pve/DIRECTORY_STORAGE_NAME/dump/`.

You can get the path of a file/virtual disk via pvesm path <VolID>
And you can get the VolID of a backup via pvesm list <STORAGE_ID> --content backup

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!