Mountpoint to NVME drive

Sturmkater

Dec 2, 2023
My initial setup was, passing trew my drives to TrueNAS vm and mounting them again as NFS in proxmox. Now I want to have a NVME drive in proxmox, so I don't have to wait that TrueNAS is up and running.
The ZFS NVME drive is running and I did move some vm disks over. This is where I realized that my previously qcow2 drives got formated to raw. Since I would just have space for a hand full of disks I try to format them back to qcow2 with
Code:
qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 vm-100-disk-0.raw vm-100-disk-0.qcow2
I guess for that command to work, I have to cd in to the storage location of the vm disks. sadly I cant find the mount point of my NVME drive.

PS: I realized I can't make qcow2 disks on my ZFS NVME at all, why that?

Last edited:
sadly I cant find the mount point of my NVME drive.
Did you create a Directory Storage on the NVMe? Then you can look it up in the Storage definition in the web GUI.
What is the output of cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg? Which Storage is your NVMe?

EDIT: It's also possible that you stored the virtual disk "raw" on LVM instead of .raw-files in a Directory storage. If so, try LVM-Thin next time.

Last edited:
Did you create a Directory Storage on the NVMe? Then you can look it up in the Storage definition in the web GUI.
What is the output of cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg? Which Storage is your NVMe?

EDIT: It's also possible that you stored the virtual disk "raw" on LVM instead of .raw-files in a Directory storage. If so, try LVM-Thin next time.
Hi, thank you fro getting back to me. The output is:
Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content rootdir,images
        sparse 1

nfs: BackupNFS
        export /mnt/Backup
        path /mnt/pve/BackupNFS
        server 10.10.1.4
        content backup
        prune-backups keep-all=1

nfs: BigNFS
        export /mnt/Big
        path /mnt/pve/BigNFS
        server 10.10.1.4
        content iso,snippets,vztmpl,rootdir,backup
        prune-backups keep-all=1

nfs: FastNFS
        export /mnt/Fast
        path /mnt/pve/FastNFS
        server 10.10.1.4
        content rootdir,images
        prune-backups keep-all=1

zfspool: Fast
        pool Fast
        content images,rootdir
        mountpoint /Fast
        nodes tower

So you'r saying that in ZFS I can just store raw drives, So I should think on switching over to LVM-Thin. Can I do snapshots there as well? Are there any downsides?

PS: I realized I can't make qcow2 disks on my ZFS NVME at all, why that?
So you'r saying that in ZFS I can just store raw drives,
Maybe you should read up on ZFS. I guess your rpool is on a NVMe? ZFS can contain filesystems (subvols) or virtual disks (zvols) but you cannot store files on ZFS without first creating a subvol to put them in.
I guess for that command to work, I have to cd in to the storage location of the vm disks. sadly I cant find the mount point of my NVME drive.
Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content rootdir,images
        sparse 1

nfs: BackupNFS
        export /mnt/Backup
        path /mnt/pve/BackupNFS
        server 10.10.1.4
        content backup
        prune-backups keep-all=1

nfs: BigNFS
        export /mnt/Big
        path /mnt/pve/BigNFS
        server 10.10.1.4
        content iso,snippets,vztmpl,rootdir,backup
        prune-backups keep-all=1

nfs: FastNFS
        export /mnt/Fast
        path /mnt/pve/FastNFS
        server 10.10.1.4
        content rootdir,images
        prune-backups keep-all=1

zfspool: Fast
        pool Fast
        content images,rootdir
        mountpoint /Fast
        nodes tower
I assume your virtual disks are stored in Fast or local-zfs as zvols on ZFS (which don't have a mountpoint as you assumed) or as files on FastNFS(to which you can find the mountpoint in your reply). Your other storages don't allow images, so they don't contain virtual disks.

Maybe you should read up on ZFS. I guess your rpool is on a NVMe? ZFS can contain filesystems (subvols) or virtual disks (zvols) but you cannot store files on ZFS without first creating a subvol to put them in.
I definitely should read more about ZFS:) I pretty new in this server emulation field and do use ZFS on TureNAS, where I can store space saving qcow2. So I just assumed it will be the same on proxmox.
I assume your virtual disks are stored in Fast or local-zfs as zvols on ZFS (which don't have a mountpoint as you assumed) or as files on FastNFS(to which you can find the mountpoint in your reply). Your other storages don't allow images, so they don't contain virtual disks.
Yes you are right. The virtual disks I tried to compress are stored on Fast. Since I cant compress them anyway I don't need the mount point. But just out of curiosity, would it be save to mount the Fast nvme to a folder, or would that mess up proxmox?

But just out of curiosity, would it be save to mount the Fast nvme to a folder, or would that mess up proxmox?
That question does not make sense to me, sorry. You cannot mount the NVMe to a folder as it contains no filesystem.
zfspool: Fast pool Fast content images,rootdir mountpoint /Fast nodes tower
You can create a subvol (filesystem) on the ZFS pool Fast (which will be accessible via /Fast/the_subvol_name_you_created), if that's what you mean.

That question does not make sense to me, sorry. You cannot mount the NVMe to a folder as it contains no filesystem.

You can create a subvol (filesystem) on the ZFS pool Fast (which will be accessible via /Fast/the_subvol_name_you_created), if that's what you mean.
Yes it seams I really don't understand how proxmox utilizes ZFS drives. Thank you anyway!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!