Mounting Cephfs in VM keeps timing out (kernel in fstab)- desperate for help...

brodgers

May 3, 2023
As the title would indicate, I am trying to mount my ceph filesystem (quincy) on a VM within the cluster (VE 7.4-3). The ceph filesystem, data pool, metadata pool are all up and running, my monitor nodes are up and happy and ceph health is good.

So far, I have - on the nodes:
- created a keyring in /etc/pve/priv for ceph.client.vmuser.keyring
- imported the new keyring
- exported their key to a vmuser.secret file
- scp'd that file to the VM client /etc/ceph
- generated a minimal config
- scp'd the minimal config to the VM client /etc/ceph

On the (Debian 11) client I have:
- installed cep-common
- mkdir /etc/ceph
- created a mount point at /mnt/cephfs
- edited my fstab to be:
Code:
10.66.10.1:6789,10.66.10.4:6789,10.66.10.6:6789:/       /mnt/cephfs     ceph    name=vmuser,secretfile=/etc/ceph/vmuser.secret,noatime,_netdev  0       2

When I mount -a (as root), I keep getting a "mount error 110 = Connection timed out". I can ping all the monitors, so I know this VM can reach them. For some reason, they just aren't responding with anything the VM can use.

Interestingly, if I "cat" /etc/pve/priv/ceph.mon.keyring on the host, it only shows an Admin user.

Does anyone have any tips I could try to get this working???? I'm pulling out what little hair I have left.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!