Mount backup image in other VM

pixel24

Dec 11, 2019
Hi@all,

My PVE (6.4) backs up to a USB disk every night. Is there a way to mount this in another VM?

with best
pixel24

You could look into setting up virtiofsd or 9p for accessing a filesystem on the host from inside a VM. Or unmount the disk from the host and try USB passthrough. If that does not work, you could consider PCIe passthrough of a whole USB controller (but that might not be possible). A bind-mount to a container instead of a VM would probably much simpler (except for file permissions). I hope these "search terms" can get you started on evaluating each approach.

OK thanks. I will search here. Now I know at least a few options to look for.

I'm looking for a method in which I set up a restore VM which has an additional (empty) hard drive and restore the backup to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!