motd proxmox

Othmane

Sep 22, 2017
Hello, I want to change Change the greeting when an SSH connection to all lxc vps content, I can update a screenshot of what it looks like!

SCREEN : http://prntscr.com/gphypv
(The screen comes from a video on the internet!)

Edit /etc/motd. Probably for every existing container. You can create a new container, edit the file to your liking and declare the container a template. This way you don't need to make the edit for future containers but just use the new template.

create a new container, edit the file to your liking and declare the container a template. This way you don't need to make the edit for future containers but just use the new template.
btw, there's an edit function in the forum, so you don't have to post twice.

/ etc / motd when I edit the file it is done on the main dedicated server and not the vps content ...

That's not what I meant.
  1. Create a new container from the template you normally use. Or, if you already use a custom template, skip this step.
  2. In that container edit /etc/motd to your liking.
  3. If it isn't already a template, make a backup of the container, and move it to a storage that can contain templates. E.g. /var/lib/vz/template/cache. Remember to rename the file to not include the id.
  4. Create future VPS containers from that template. They will inherit all settings.

Last edited:
make a backup of the container, and move it to a storage that can contain templates. E.g. /var/lib/vz/template/cache. Remember to rename the file to not include the id.

Where and when does PVE write the content for /etc/motd? I tried to overwrite it and add some internal support related information. But it is overwritten every time the machine boots.

Thanks!

that is the pvebanner service, it should be possble to disable that with
systemctl disable pvebanner
this is not tested though

Reactions: DerDanilo
Where can one find the template for the banner service (if accessable)? I'd rather have it enabled and update the template then disabling it.

pvebanner is a perl script which generates the motd (there is no template)
path is /usr/bin/pvebanner

Reactions: DerDanilo
Thanks ! Will have a look at it. Was looking for this since it didn't seem to update the motd message even if the host IP changed or the gui IP is different from the cluster ip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!