more than one CPU in OpenVZ / KVM

mlabenda

May 13, 2008
Hamburg
www.ibml.com
I wonder, where i can change how much CPU's my machines get. Where are the KVM config files ? Can OpenVZ handle more than one CPU ?

I wonder, where i can change how much CPU's my machines get. Where are the KVM config files ? Can OpenVZ handle more than one CPU ?

we will improve the admin inferface to set the number of CPU´s.

in the meantime, you can try to add the following to the config file (KVM):

Code:
nano /etc/qemu-server/xyx.conf
and add (eg. for 2 CPU´s) the following line:

Code:
smp: 2
changing this to already installed windows machine could be problematic (on the windows side) but should work on a fresh install - but no tested and approved yet.

Thank you

Was digging aroung and couldn't find the XML's
in ubuntu they used to be in a different place.

I just did some tests with ProxMox and vmware server 2.0beta2 (ubuntu)
and looks like proxmox is way faster on kvm (sure on OpenVZ) then vmware....

Great work guys

how many cpu's can we give an openvz server

I am interested in being able to give additional cpu's to a virtual server.
@ Present we have 3 servers in a cluster - and a bunch more to add.

Each server has 4 Quad Core Xeons - so 16 Cores to play with but the ability to only give a server 1 core is kinda stinkin...

I love the software thusfar - and if this is a limitation - hey great...
we can live w/ that for now.

Kind Regards,
:cool:

For KVM machines you can adjust the number of cpus post install via qm:

Code:
qm set VMID --smp 2

Where VMID is the vmid of the kvm machine (101,102, etc) and the number after --smp is the desired number of cores.
Note that SMP is not quite stable on Windows guests, haven't heard of any problems with linux.
Not sure how to adjust OpenVZ...?

great and for openvz?

I am wondering if OpenVZ matters to make the change...

The CPU scheduler In OpenVZ I believe ishttp://openvz.org/ two-level.

the first level scheduler decides which VPS/VE it is to give the CPU time slice to based on per-VE cpuUnit values.

The second level the standard linux process priorities and such

In a plane old OpenVZ system - an admin can set up different cpu-unites for different VE's and the CPU time will be given to those automatcially.

from what I understand there is a way to limit the CPU time for a VE - but not sure how to do that...

Perhaps someone could shed some light on this. ...

unfortunaletly cpu resource controls are still not implemented in openvz 2.6.24.

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!