modern NVME like Corsair MP 600 pro

freegate

Renowned Member
Jan 6, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am inquiring about the nvme capable of supporting VMs on a ZFS Pool.

The general advice is to favor enterprise ssds instead of consumer ssds. However, when we look at the characteristics of recent modern consumer SSDs, we realize that their performance reaches or even exceeds those of enterprise SSDs for prices that are now very affordable.

Example: SSD corsair MP600 pro 2 TB NH (156 euros):
TBW: 1400
1 million IOPS
Write: 5700 MB/s
read: 7000 MB/s

Considering the price, it can do the job according to you for 5 years if the server has a solid electrical protection system?

If not, do you have any inexpensive enterprise SSds that would meet proxmox's requirements?

Best regards

Considering the price, it can do the job according to you for 5 years if the server has a solid electrical protection system?

If not, do you have any inexpensive enterprise SSds that would meet proxmox's requirements?
SSD without PLP of their own cannot cache sync writes (because they don't know when the power is lost).
Micron 7450 PRO M.2 is in the same price range for half the size, but it does provide PLP and can cache sync writes (17500 sync/sec according topveperf).

Reactions: _gabriel
Thanks for your advice.

if I build a machine with only these two enterprise SSDs to store and run VMs (windows with a mariaDB base) in a ZFS mirror pool. Is it optimized considering their performance (17500 sync/sec pveperf). Shouldn't I add to the pool also an SSD for zil and a cache to improve the whole. Is it useful to do this with two mirrored NVMEs?

A dedicated device for the ZIL is only interesting if it is much faster than the devices that actually store the data. If no dedicated ZIL device (SLOG) is present, then the ZIL is stored on the regular disks.

It's understood.

For the installation of the proxmox OS, what do you recommend at least ?
two consummer Pro SSDs in ZFS mirroring ?

Thanks.

For the installation of the proxmox OS, what do you recommend at least ?
It does not need to be fast but it will see a lot of writes due to logging and graphs. Use (a mirror of) small HDD, for example. Or just put it on the same enterprise SSD's as 8-32 GB for Proxmox is usually enough.
two consummer Pro SSDs in ZFS mirroring ?
People have reported that Proxmox wears out consumer SSDs quite quickly, therefore I recommend HDDs or enterprise SSDs.

zfs can't be recommended on not datacenter ssd.
perhaps only pve os will live longer without vm, without swap, with corosync disabled but imo, one ssd for pve on ext4/lvm is reliable more longer.
keep notes about the host configuration, backup main config files as interfaces & vmid.conf, storage.cfg, fstab

1 million IOPS
Write: 5700 MB/s
Also don't trust those numbers. With a lot of parallel async writes it might reach that for a couple of seconds as long as the caches aren't filled up. Hit it with small sync writes or continously write a lot of data to it and it will drop to just a few MB/s. Enterprise SSDs might not reach those high burst performances but at least the perfomance won't drop that hard.

FYI: I ran a test environment with two new 1TB MP600 in a ZFS RAID1 for VM storage. After 3 months both NVME were faulty. And the test server didn‘t see the kind of workload you usually have on production systems.

ok i follow your recommendations.
I think the samsung pm883 (mirorring zfs) 256 go for datacenters may be suitable for installing proxmox in OS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!