Modem USB Passthrough

elopez

Jun 27, 2012
hello,

I am trying to configure a USB modem on a windows xp on Proxmox. I use "qm set 105 -hostusb ****:****", but when I start the computer I get the following and the xp does not detect the modem:

proxmox1:~# qm start 105
kvm: usb_create: no bus specified, using "usb.0" for "usb-host"

husb: open device 2.7
husb: config #1 need -1
husb: 1 interfaces claimed for configuration 1

What I can do?

a greeting

Hi, when I have to add an USB item to a Windows XP guest, I always perform from the Qemu Monitor. I start with the command "info usbhost" to get a listing of the physical host's USB components. Once I have the item I want, this I issue the command from the Monitor "usb_add host:abcd:1234". From inside the Windows XP guest, it should be listed under the device manager, and you'd have to install the needed drivers to drive the component.

Please keep in mind that if/when the Windows XP guest is rebooted, it will lose contact with the USB component. To perminantly added the USB device to the guest, you will have to edit its *.conf file in /etc/qemu-server/*.conf file.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!