Missing steps for cluster upgrade 5.x to 6: pve LVM?

pbrownrobo

Feb 8, 2024
Yes, seems rather old and ancient.. but you have to go through 6, if you need to bring something all the way up to current. And the directions at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0
are missing some crucial information.
If you want to migrate VMs across nodes using local storage, and you dont have an LVM group named "pve".. it will fail.
A fresh install of 6 will create one, but an upgrade will not.

And... there is some magic missing that I dont know about.
I've tried manually creating a pve volume group. but the system doesnt seem happy with it. At the same time, it wont tell me WHY it isnt happy with it.
Can I get some hints please?

but you have to go through 6, if you need to bring something all the way up to current.
As the guide also mentions, maybe just install the latest Proxmox (on one of the nodes) and restore the VMs from backup, instead of trying to troubleshoot every issue (that won't be fixed anyway) in between?

found solution.

I initially noticed that regular nodes had a "thin" lv named "data".
I tried creating that in the gui, in the "Thin-LVM" section, but couldnt get it right.

So I dropped to command line, and used

lvcreate -T -L xxxxG -n data pve

the system became happy right away

As the guide also mentions, maybe just install the latest Proxmox (on one of the nodes) and restore the VMs from backup, instead of trying to troubleshoot every issue (that won't be fixed anyway) in between?
I couldnt find a viable way to do backups off the machine.

Additionally, sad to say, I'm working remotely and do not have good console access for those machines. So any remote solution is 100% preferable, reguardless of extra work.
Happy to say I fixed this round of problems though.

I couldnt find a viable way to do backups off the machine.
So you never created any backups all those years as this wouldn't be different?

Additionally, sad to say, I'm working remotely and do not have good console access for those machines. So any remote solution is 100% preferable, reguardless of extra work.
Then keep in mind that upgrading between major versions might kill your connection which is why all the upgrade guides recommend to run those commands locally or at least via the BMCs webKVM.

Then keep in mind that upgrading between major versions might kill your connection which is why all the upgrade guides recommend to run those commands locally or at least via the BMCs webKVM.

Yeah. But ssh works fine for this.
I made it from 5 to 7 so far.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!