Missing bridges in KVM Create view

drrighteous

Dec 14, 2009
Total newbie to PVE, however I'm pretty experienced with KVM/virtualized environments. So lets hope this isn't a purposeful bug I found.

In PVE 1.4 I've added several new bridged interfaces (mostly by creating them against vlan tagged eth0, e.g. eth0.5). However, when I choose to Create a new KVM machine, it only lists vmbr0 as an option.

However the other vmbr's are listed and selectable if I choose to post creation add an additional ethernet or if creating a OpenVZ container.

I figure it to be a minor PHP bug, anyone?

--David

Total newbie to PVE, however I'm pretty experienced with KVM/virtualized environments. So lets hope this isn't a purposeful bug I found.

In PVE 1.4 I've added several new bridged interfaces (mostly by creating them against vlan tagged eth0, e.g. eth0.5). However, when I choose to Create a new KVM machine, it only lists vmbr0 as an option.

However the other vmbr's are listed and selectable if I choose to post creation add an additional ethernet or if creating a OpenVZ container.

I figure it to be a minor PHP bug, anyone?

--David

this should work. how did you create the bridges? hopefully via web interface?

make sure you run the latest version (run apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade).

BTW, we do not use PHP on Proxmox VE, we use Perl.

Oh yes most definitely I added the interfaces via the web interface, and yes, also rebooted. Remember also that I stated my ability to add said bridges from the OpenVZ create and the "add ethernet" screens, just not the KVM create one. Thus it is working, completely from the web interface, I just had to go through the additional steps of deleting the initial ethernet and adding a new one to the VM.

Anyhow, here is a copy of my interfaces file:

# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.100.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.100.1.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr210
iface vmbr210 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0.210
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr42
iface vmbr42 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0.42
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Oh yes most definitely I added the interfaces via the web interface, and yes, also rebooted. Remember also that I stated my ability to add said bridges from the OpenVZ create and the "add ethernet" screens, just not the KVM create one. Thus it is working, completely from the web interface, I just had to go through the additional steps of deleting the initial ethernet and adding a new one to the VM.

Anyhow, here is a copy of my interfaces file:

# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.100.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.100.1.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr210
iface vmbr210 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0.210
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr42
iface vmbr42 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0.42
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

maybe a browser cache issue? just eliminate this by accessing the interface via another browser.

Yes they are active, and no not a caching issue as I do in fact access the interface from multiple browers. Also I am running the latest apt-get upgraded versions.

That is really strange - it works for many people. Please can you post a screenshot of your Configuration/System/Network view?

pve0.png - My System->Network screen (as you can see the additional bridges are listed and active)

pve1.png - Create view for KVM

pve2.png - Create view for OpenVZ

pve3.png - Add ethernet hardware view for a already existing KVM

--David

Attachments

• pve0.png
    pve0.png
    106 KB · Views: 14
  • pve1.png
    pve1.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 12
  • pve2.png
    pve2.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 10
  • pve3.png
    pve3.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 11
pve0.png - My System->Network screen (as you can see the additional bridges are listed and active)

pve1.png - Create view for KVM

pve2.png - Create view for OpenVZ

pve3.png - Add ethernet hardware view for a already existing KVM

--David

we cannot reproduce the issue here (we also used your interfaces file).
what the output of:

Code:
pveversion -v

virt01:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.4-10 (pve-manager/1.4/4403)
qemu-server: 1.1-8
pve-kernel: 2.6.24-18
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.11.0-2
pve-firmware: 1
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve3
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
virt01:~#

virt01:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.4-10 (pve-manager/1.4/4403)
qemu-server: 1.1-8
pve-kernel: 2.6.24-18
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.11.0-2
pve-firmware: 1
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve3
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
virt01:~#

ok, finally we found the issue. its already fixed and the update will be available soon in the repository. if you can´t wait, you can move to the pvetest repository (instead of pve) and run apt-get update/dist-upgrade.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!