Minor request on qm --memory setting

Himcules

Jan 8, 2024
In my attempts to write a shell script to create VMs quickly I've got oneliners working fine i.e.

# qm create 9999 --name vmtest --bios ovmf --efidisk0 data:0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1 --boot "order=net0;scsi0" --cores 1 --sockets 1 --cpu host --memory 2048 --net0 model=virtio,bridge=vmbr0
--scsihw virtio-scsi-single --scsi0 data:30,iothread=1 --tpmstate0 data:0,version=v2.0

Minor request is:
--memory as from the quoted manpage:

"--memory <integer> (16 - N) (default = 512) Amount of RAM for the VM in MiB.
This is the maximum available memory when you use the balloon device."

* Can this be updated/modified so that we can pass a values in other forms?
For other types of values expressed as; GiB, GB,TiB and or TB.
i.e. syntax:
--memory 2048
--memory 2G

Hey,

this sounds like a useful thing to have, feel free to open an issue in our Bugtracker.
Please check if someone has already requested this, but from a quick search I only found this and that only targets the webui.

When you have done so, please post a link to the issue here, so others can find it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!