Migration Windows Server VM from Synology VMM to Proxmox

mf_2

Jul 29, 2023
Hi all,

I am in the process of switching my VMs from Synology VMM to Proxmox.
Two Windows Servers (2012 R2 and 2019) have been transferred successfully, but the third one is tricky.
The first two used standard BIOS, whereas the third one uses UEFI.
I exported the VM as OVA in the Synology Virtual Machine Manager (VMM).
I then uploaded the OVA and extracted it on the proxmox host and imported it to an existing VM via "qm importdisk".
Whenever I run the VM in Proxmox, I get to a screen where I can repair my Windows, enable safe mode, change UEFI settings or turn off my PC.
How do I get Windows to boot normally?
I tried using different interfaces for the volume (ide, scsi, sata, virtio) but none helped.
When I switch the BIOS to non-UEFI it is not able to boot from the supplied volume.

I am running Proxmox VE 7.4-16 on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M70q.

Specs:

1690642590495.png

Windows loading screen:

1690642539700.png

Windows boot menu:

1690642629773.png

When I choose continue it just reboots. When I choose "Use a device", nothing happens. Mounting a Windows DVD is not helping.
Troubleshoot opens up a new menu, but I am at a loss there. "Safe mode" doesn't work and I am not familiar with the other options.

One good thing: The virtual machine is still running on the Synology so in case I need to "prepare" the machine differently before the export, I can do so.

Do you have any ideas as to how to solve this?

Best regards
mf_2

Hi, i am considering making the same switch. All my VMs are Gen2 VMs. (mix of windows server and debian).
Did you get yours running?

Not yet. I was able to get it to boot up after fiddling with the UEFI settings, but the machine did not fully recover.
However the machine in question is a domain controller. So if your machine is a "simpler" server then the switch might be easier. I think DCs might be a bit tricky.
I will give it another shot next Sunday.

have you tried to boot once to safemode ?
safemode will enable ahci controller then reboot normal.
seems Synology do not use same storage controller as your defined VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!