Migration to other cluster to SDB3

franklos

Mar 17, 2024
Hi, I m trying to migate a large VM to another node on a new server. The new server has 2 SSD drives in raid1 and a set of larger drives. Idea is to install Proxmox on the SSD drives and migrate the VM to the set of large drives (raid50). When I install, however, on the SSD, the migration points to that SSD and I have no option to choose another target drive. As the SSD is not very big, the migration runs in an error, target to small.

Question how do I set up the SCSI drives on target system so that I can migrate to it.

Second question, both source and target have 4 LAN ports, I hoped it would be an option to migrate over a direct LAN connection from eg 192.168.222.2 <-->192.168.222.3.
That off course without disrupting the public IP connection. Is that an option. Thanks, Frank.

Source Proxmox 7.4.17, target Proxmox 8.1.4

Hi,

When I install, however, on the SSD, the migration points to that SSD and I have no option to choose another target drive.
Have you added the larger disks under Datacenter > Storage > Add and is this drive set to allow Disk Image as content? This should allow you to select the additional disks as target storage for the migration.

Second question, both source and target have 4 LAN ports, I hoped it would be an option to migrate over a direct LAN connection from eg 192.168.222.2 <-->192.168.222.3.
Yes, that is possible. You would need to set up the network interfaces for both your nodes, and then you can configure the migration network at Datacenter > Options > Migration Settings.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!