Migration of Windows Server 2008 R2 to proxmox gives BSOD

shaeadielg

Dec 14, 2023
Hello, I am new to proxmox and wanted to migrate my physical server running Win 2008 R2 to proxmox. I converted the C:\ drive using disk2vhd, then converted the vhdx file to qcow2, via qemu in proxmox. My physical server is connected with raid, but I assumed that wouldn't be a problem. I have tried switching the hard drive type to ide, scsi, and sata. I have also tried lowering the version to windows vista and older. Any help would be appreciated.

acpi: 1
agent: 1
bios: seabios
boot: order=ide0
cores: 6
cpu: Westmere,flags=-ibpb;-virt-ssbd;-amd-ssbd;-amd-no-ssb;-hv-tlbflush
hotplug: 0
kvm: 0
machine: pc-i440fx-8.1
memory: 8192
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.2,ctime=1702377347
name: Athena
net0: rtl8139=BC:24:11:7C:5B:22,bridge=vmbr0,tag=1
numa: 0
ostype: w2k8
sata0: local:101/athena.qcow2,cache=directsync,size=2287104M
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=d9ffdcd8-59b6-4a5f-819e-d8d1b00b4d39
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
vmgenid: ab3ad034-9d52-489b-92e2-5f3dae70aba1
vmstatestorage: local

I would try the following settings because I expect the highest possible compatibility with Windows Server 2008. Once the VM has started, any old drivers and tools should be removed and the VirtIO drivers with GA should be completely and freshly installed. Afterwards you can probably switch everything to virtIO.
Is the QEMU Guest Agent installed? If not, please deactivate it.
boot: order=ide0
The hard drive is sata0 and not ide0, please adjust it too.
Please activate.
net0: rtl8139=BC:24:11:7C:5B:22,bridge=vmbr0,tag=1
Here you could also try the E1000 instead of the RTL. I would say that the E1000 is probably still supported from 2008.
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
Please also set it to default.

I would try the following settings because I expect the highest possible compatibility with Windows Server 2008. Once the VM has started, any old drivers and tools should be removed and the VirtIO drivers with GA should be completely and freshly installed. Afterwards you can probably switch everything to virtIO.

Is the QEMU Guest Agent installed? If not, please deactivate it.

The hard drive is sata0 and not ide0, please adjust it too.

Please activate.

Here you could also try the E1000 instead of the RTL. I would say that the E1000 is probably still supported from 2008.

Please also set it to default.
I will try all these fixes. I have tried enabling KVM, but I had an error and the VM did not even load. My VM did not even get into the login so I couldn't uninstall the old drivers.
You want me to deactivate qemu guest agent?
Will try all these fixes

Many thanks

My VM did not even get into the login so I couldn't uninstall the old drivers.
Please read my post again, I understand that your VM is not logging in - I didn't say you should do that now either. You should first try the settings to get the VM running again and then clean it up.

I agree one hundred percent. Will try and give feedback
Please read my post again, I understand that your VM is not logging in - I didn't say you should do that now either. You should first try the settings to get the VM running again and then clean it up.
I agree. Apologies for misunderstanding. Will try and give feedback

I have tried all fixes but the refuses to load.

I get the following error:

TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.

I enabled KVM as you asked me to.

Please post the complete details of your hardware. Also make sure you have enabled the virtualization feature in the BIOS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!