Migration if the node have a power cut

Louis leuliette

Apr 24, 2024
Hello,

I have a question about HA, I'd like to know if it's possible to migrate VMs to other nodes if the node is stopped by an power cut or if we do a long press the power button.

Currently, if I stop the nodes with the web interface, the VMs are migrated to the other nodes, but if I stop it, the VMs simply shut down and I want to avoid this.

You should get a UPS and another power line into your site.

Also putting up some diesel generators is a way better idea than migrating VMs to another site.

Reactions: Kingneutron
how should a node migrate its VMs away if its power is cut? that is physically impossible. the guests running on a crashed/.. node will be relocated once the rest of the cluster detected that the node is gone, if HA is enabled.

Thanks for your advice, I've spoken with some serious people who told me to add a qorum and now even if I unplug the power cable from one node the VMs on it migrate to the other.

the VMs will be relocated and started again on a node that is still part of the quorate partition of the cluster, if that is possible. but they are not live-migrated, since that is impossible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!