migration from ESXI to new setup, need advices

gusans

Apr 21, 2016
Hi all,

i'm new to proxmox. i work as a sysadmin in a state university. currently we are in the proccess of moving to new hardware and thinking to deploy proxmox as a replacement of vmware esxi, mainly because our institution have an strong OSS preference and also to avoid vmware free version restrictions. so i'd like some advices from the community.

our current setup:

server: IBM x3250 M4 with VMware ESXi 5.5
storage: Ubuntu Server PC with 4x4Tb drives (linux raid), 1 Gb link, NFS export
VMs: around 8-10. the most important are a Zimbra mail server (~150 users), web server with various CMSs and an Owncloud server. all running ubuntu server 14.04 with virtual machine kernel option.

our new hardware

server: IBM x3550 M5 with SAS6Gb dual link to storage
storage: IBM v3700 dual controller + 13x1tb sas disks

as i have read on the forums, the migration of the VMs would not be an issue as they can be converted to the kvm format.
my main concern is the proxmox compatibility with my new hardware. dual port sas setup for example.
also would like to use the IBM x3250 as a secondary server (linked to storage with ethernet 1Gb) and be able to move machines from one host to another.

is someone running a similar setup? any advice would be of great help

thanks in advance

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!