Migration Bug

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
I believe I am hitting a bug. When migrating a machine all is well. The machine stays online during the migration. If I attempt to connect to the console directly after a migrate the virtual machine crashes, then reboots. Has anyone hit this issue? This only happens if I attempt to connect to the console directly after a migration.

is the VM "managed by HA"?

Whats odd though is that the migrate goes perfectly. The machine will stay up as long as I don't attempt to access the console. Once I access the console it shuts down and starts again. After it starts back up I can access the console without any issues.

Hi,
I had something 'similar' with Windows 2008 VM's a while back. I had to change the display adapter to type "Cirrus Logic", that's the only way I could stop the VM's from being rebooted.
The problem manifested mostly when trying to access the console, but also random Windows reboots every once in a while. This was on the beta version though, I haven't tried the default VGA adapter on RC1.

Again, I'm not sure if this is related to your problem.

/K

I gave that a try but still same issue. Whats odd is this only happens when migrating from the GUI. If HA migrates the machines then connecting to the console is AOK. I appreciate the input!

I gave that a try but still same issue. Whats odd is this only happens when migrating from the GUI. If HA migrates the machines then connecting to the console is AOK. I appreciate the input!

When you say 'If HA migrates', does that mean you simulate a failure of the host where the VM is running? If so, it might be different because the VM is actually started again on the new node (not live migration). Can you confirm?

/K

Add a bit more to this.

Decided to install a CentOS5 VM. No issues at all while migrating. Once the migration is complete I can access the console without it rebooting. Any guest which is CentOS6 though seems to reboot when accessing the console after a migration.

Hi Adamb, your bug seem to be related to a usb tablet bug which has been corrected in last pve-qemu-kvm packages.
Could you provide a
"dpkg -l|grep pve-qemu-kvm" ?

Here it is.
root@proxmox1:~# dpkg -l|grep pve-qemu-kvm
ii pve-qemu-kvm 1.0-5 Full virtualization on x86 hardware

Should I look to upgrade qemu-kvm? I appreciate the input!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!