Migrating RAW KVM to Thin LVM on remote system

cuddylier

Jan 28, 2017
Hi

I currently have a Proxmox 4.1.1 system with a RAW storage KVM VPS. I need to move this VPS to a Proxmox 4.4 system that only has Thin LVM storage. The Proxmox 4.4 system does not have enough storage to hold 2 x the RAW storage VPS so it's not possible to copy the RAW image to the new system then move it into a LVM.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't seem to find anything on Google that matches what I need to do, only converting RAW to LVM on the same system.

Thanks

The easiest way is to make an backup (vzdump) then recover the VM on the new system with restore in the webinterface.

The easiest way is to make an backup (vzdump) then recover the VM on the new system with restore in the webinterface.

I checked the backup option but unfortunately it says there is no storage to select from: http://i.spartanhost.net/VP23gqLF.png

This is the storage I have: http://i.spartanhost.net/mdsgQaTx.png it's a directory.

Will this backup image be transferable by any means that won't require sending the whole size to the new node like rsync requires with a raw image file itself? The actual raw image only has 600gb used but is set to max size of 6TB so I'd prefer to only have to transfer 600gb vs 6TB.

You havent enabled the backupfunction. Edit storage and enable backup function.

I don't seem to have a storage.cfg anywhere on this server box, here is the /etc/pve directory:

authkey.pub local openvz pve-www.key vzdump.cron
datacenter.cfg lxc priv qemu-server
firewall nodes pve-root-ca.pem user.cfg

I did a search of the whole node but there is no file called storage.cfg anywhere, any ideas? Running Proxmox 4.1-1.

When you have default settings, i think there is no storage.cfg. So go to the webinterface, edit the storgage and set the backupflag.

Last edited:
When you have default settings, i think there is no storage.cfg. So go to the webinterface, edit the storgage and set the backupflag.

I got it all sorted, thanks.

Only problem I see now is that the backup I took has to be extracted so it requires roughly double the space to be available of the VM size for the extraction, I don't have that amount of space available on the target node. Any ideas on how I could transfer it? It's set to 6TB in total size for the disk image so I can't use rsync as that takes 18 hours on a gigabit link.

Normaly it copies only the real used space. I don't really know what you exactly mean. Wen you have your new server. Emty the space. Make your backup an other drive.

You can click move disk on the webinterface on an running vm. It works, with performancelos. And buy two 10Gbit networkcards and ist is faster. But also depending on your drivespeed.

Normaly it copies only the real used space. I don't really know what you exactly mean. Wen you have your new server. Emty the space. Make your backup an other drive.

You can click move disk on the webinterface on an running vm. It works, with performancelos. And buy two 10Gbit networkcards and ist is faster. But also depending on your drivespeed.

The VM is 450gb and the new proxmox node has 750gb disk space. I just rsync'ed the backup to the new node but obviously there isn't enough space to extract it while keeping the backup image. I don't have any available sata ports on the new node so can't put the backup on an external drive sadly. I don't have both proxmox linked so can't do a live migration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!