Migrating a real machine with NVME disk to PVE VM

Nov 22, 2020
Hi,

Today I had to migrate a physical machine running Fedora Core 32 with NVME root disk and UEFI boot to a virtual machine (OVMF) under PVE 6.3.

Unsurprisingly Fedora boot failed if I just copied (offline using an adapter) the whole /dev/nvme0n1 original block device to a ZFS volume and used that with volume as a default virtio-scsi disk.

After some searching about KVM and NVME I added to the VMID.conf the following line:

Code:
args: -drive file=/dev/mypool/vm-10000-disk-0,format=raw,if=none,id=NVME1 -device nvme,drive=NVME1,serial=nvme-1

And edited VMID.conf a bit more :
- removed the scsi0: line entirely
- removed the scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci line entirely
- removed scsi0 from boot: order=...

After going into the OVMF BIOS to select the right boot device the machine booted successfully FC32.

Now I want to add a regular virtio-scsi disk to this VM and since PVE doesn't know about "vm-10000-disk-0" (only mentionned in args) it looks like I could be in trouble with same name disk volumes.

I'm also wondering about future backups with this "hidden from PVE" disk.

What should I do to make PVE aware of this NVME device and associated volume and not risk issue during lifetime of this VM?

Thanks for your help!

PS: may be a "nvme" flag will be added at some point to PVE just like "SSD" currently is.

Last edited:
Hi,
Hi,

Today I had to migrate a physical machine running Fedora Core 32 with NVME root disk and UEFI boot to a virtual machine (OVMF) under PVE 6.3.

Unsurprisingly Fedora boot failed if I just copied (offline using an adapter) the whole /dev/nvme0n1 original block device to a ZFS volume and used that with volume as a default virtio-scsi disk.

After some searching about KVM and NVME I added to the VMID.conf the following line:

Code:
args: -drive file=/dev/mypool/vm-10000-disk-0,format=raw,if=none,id=NVME1 -device nvme,drive=NVME1,serial=nvme-1

And edited VMID.conf a bit more :
- removed the scsi0: line entirely
- removed the scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci line entirely
- removed scsi0 from boot: order=...

After going into the OVMF BIOS to select the right boot device the machine booted successfully FC32.

Now I want to add a regular virtio-scsi disk to this VM and since PVE doesn't know about "vm-10000-disk-0" (only mentionned in args) it looks like I could be in trouble with same name disk volumes.
PVE should see the volume, and avoid a direct naming conflict. You can check with pvesm list <storage ID for ZFS storage>

I'm also wondering about future backups with this "hidden from PVE" disk.

What should I do to make PVE aware of this NVME device and associated volume and not risk issue during lifetime of this VM?
But yes, for backups/replication/etc. it won't see the disk, so it's far from ideal.

Thanks for your help!

PS: may be a "nvme" flag will be added at some point to PVE just like "SSD" currently is.
You might want to subscribe to this feature request on our bug tracker.

Ping @oguz

Reactions: guerby
hi,
this is planned, but currently waiting on an upstream bug [0] to get fixed.
there are also other small things to do since qemu made nvme-related changes in the recent releases.

otherwise if you want, you can try out the patch on the list [1] for testing and let me know of any issue you find.

[0]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1925496
[1]: https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2020-May/043611.html

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!