Migrated from ESXI - Server 2019 - cant write to smb shares?

adambeck

Apr 30, 2024
Hey, hoping someone can help me out here.

Testing out proxmox to migrate away from ESXI. I have a couple different Windows 2k19 file servers with SMB shares (attached to a domain, all of this is already configured and working in prod environment). I used the built in wizard to migrate from ESXI to Proxmox cluster, booted the vm's, installed drivers, changed the disks to iscsi, writeback, etc.

I have lacp trunk set up using SDN for vlans. The server boots and smb shares show up properly and can be accessed/read data from the shares no problem. However when i try to write data (from a remote connection), the share becomes "unresponsive" and attempting to access it gives a network error until it eventually times out and connectivity is restored.

I have tried changing the nic adaptor, different ips, changing settings on the drives (sata, iscsi, writeback, etc). i have 3 nodes using ceph storage. I have disabled the firewall at all 3 levels (dta center, node, vm). Im not sure what it is i am missing or can try further. Any ideas?

Just a update - figured out the problem, but need to get everything to a better state:

because of SDN, the MTU value needs to be lowered. A quick fix in my regard was to set the mtu value of Jumbo frames in the file server to 1460, long term I want to get these values all in line so I dont have to do a lot when deploying a new server

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!