migrate VM / CPU compatibility

spleenftw

Oct 6, 2023
Hello, im gonna change my proxmox host.
All of my VM does have "host" CPU as configuration, can i still simply backup > restore them to the new host without any issue ? (full debian vm)

While agreeing with bbgeek17, that most Linux VM's should be mostly forgiving to HW changes, I personally try to use on my VMs a Processors Type of x86-64-v2-AES when possible. This is usually good for any host HW changes & migration to other servers. YMMV.

We should differentiate between "backup/restore" and "live migration"
  • backup/restore should work with any CPU, including "host", at least for most OS ;-)
  • but live-migration (not asked for by @spleenftw) really needs the same CPU type as it copies register contents inside the CPU as part of the current "state". For this x86-64-v2-AES is simply a common (low) denominator

We should differentiate between "backup/restore" and "live migration"
  • backup/restore should work with any CPU, including "host", at least for most OS ;-)
  • but live-migration (not asked for by @spleenftw) really needs the same CPU type as it copies register contents inside the CPU as part of the current "state". For this x86-64-v2-AES is simply a common (low) denominator
I differentiate those two, that's why i didn't talked about live migration but simply migration (from one host to another, not in a cluster).
But i know that for a live migration it really needs the same CPU type !

Many thanks to everyone for your answers, i wish you all a great day

Generally, if you're moving VMs between hosts with similar hardware specs, you should be good to go with a backup and restore. Just make sure your new host's CPU supports all the features your VMs need.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!