Migrate Host to new Boot Disk

blackpaw

Renowned Member
Nov 1, 2013
I have a three node proxmox cluster setup. The two main nodes are both booting off Samsung SSD 840 EVO's. In retrospect, not a good choice :(

Both SSD's have been effected by the firmware slow read performance bug and one can't be upgraded to the firmware "fix".

I want to replace them with Intel 520's or 530's. Can I just do a image backup and restore, then swap the SSD's? I was thinking of using a CloneZilla bootable USB to backup the host to a share, then restore to the Intel 520.

NB:Both hosts are also Ceph Mon and OSD Nodes.

Thanks.

Hi,
you can do that no the fly (only on restart if you have hotplug for the new SSD).

Hot plug the new SSD and create the boot + lvm partition.
format the new boot partition, mount them and copy the content
Code:
mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt/boot
cd /boot
tar cf - . | (cd /mnt/boot; tar xfBp -)
umount /mnt/boot
Extend the pve-vg with the second SSD-partion and use pvmove do move all LVs to the new SSD.
Reduce the pve-vg (remove the old SSD-partition from the VG)
write the boot-block to the new SSD

restart and remove art the same time the old SSD - finish!

Udo

Hi Udo, thanks for the detailed reply and my apologies for my lateness - I missed the notification :(

My LV skills are weak but I'll give it a spin. Definitely backup the disk with clonezilla first though :)

Soome questions:
- Your first step, formatting and mounting the SSD, does it matter what filesystem I use?
- should I just partition it as one big EXT4 Partition?
- Is Ext4 still the recommended FS for SSD's?
- One of the servers was installed with EXT3, which was the default when I did it :( So another good reason for this.

update-grub2
- I presume I have to do that before rebooting :)
- It will just pickup the new boot disk?

Thanks. Bit nerve wracking, will be doing it all this Sunday. Doubling the RAM to 64GB, new and better SSD's, system should be flying!

Hi Udo, thanks for the detailed reply and my apologies for my lateness - I missed the notification :(

My LV skills are weak but I'll give it a spin. Definitely backup the disk with clonezilla first though :)
Hi,
a good valid backup is allways an good idea
Soome questions:
- Your first step, formatting and mounting the SSD, does it matter what filesystem I use?
- should I just partition it as one big EXT4 Partition?
- Is Ext4 still the recommended FS for SSD's?
- One of the servers was installed with EXT3, which was the default when I did it :( So another good reason for this.
formatting and mounting is the first step for the boot-partition only.

The other space is used by the lvm-storage (pve).
for /boot I would use ext3 - the root partition don't change, because you move them with pvmove to the SSD (if you take my suggestion).

Depends on your SSD if you need TRIM (ext4). If you have an Intel DC S3700 you don't need TRIM.
update-grub2
- I presume I have to do that before rebooting :)
right.
- It will just pickup the new boot disk?
forget, you need the bootblk installed before with
Code:
grub-install /dev/SSD*
* sdb/sdc/sde...
Thanks. Bit nerve wracking, will be doing it all this Sunday. Doubling the RAM to 64GB, new and better SSD's, system should be flying!
Too late for me - on Sunday I'm in London, so I can't support if any trouble occur...

but perhaps someone else in this forum.

Udo

Thanks Udo, feedback much appreciated.

Depends on your SSD if you need TRIM (ext4). If you have an Intel DC S3700 you don't need TRIM.

Intel 535 120GB. TBH I don't know - I presume the S3700 supports it in its controller? I doubt the 535 does, its just a SATA connection.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!