mcelog: warning: record length longer than expected. Consider update. PVE 1.9

Petrus4

Feb 18, 2009
I keep receiving these errors on my machine. I have the latest 1.9 install Does anyone have a solution?

Code:
Apr  4 06:40:01 proxmox-ibm-S3 /USR/SBIN/CRON[48410]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/mcelog -a ! -e /etc/mcelog-disabled && /usr/sbin/mcelog --ignoren
odev --filter >> /var/log/mcelog)
Apr  4 06:40:01 proxmox-ibm-S3 mcelog: warning: record length longer than expected. Consider update.

Here is my install info:

Code:
proxmox-ibm-S3:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
running kernel: 2.6.32-7-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-55+ovzfix-2
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.32-7-pve: 2.6.32-55+ovzfix-2
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

Re: mcelog: warning: record length longer than expected. Consider update. PVE 1

Proxmox VE does not use the mcelog package at all, so I guess you should report that to the mcelog maintainer instead.

Proxmox VE does not use the mcelog package at all, so I guess you should report that to the mcelog maintainer instead.

Hi Dietmar, I was thinking that because the PVE kernel is not a standard Debian Lenny kernel that perhaps the mcelog package that comes with Debian Lenny does not support this kernel.

I am also reading that "mcelog is required by both 32bit x86 Linux kernels (since 2.6.30) and 64bit Linux kernels (since early 2.6 kernel releases) to log machine checks and should run on all Linux systems that need error handling."

And wondered if such a package should not be included in a default installation of PVE?

And wondered if such a package should not be included in a default installation of PVE?

As you posted, that package does not even work - so why do I want to include it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!