Maximun Size of Volume or Disk that can be assign to Proxmox

kirelgt

Nov 16, 2010
Hello everyone, I have a SAN system in which I will store lots of data, the question is I am sure that I will use much more than 2 terabyte of data and I use a program called glusterfs that will not allow me to add more than one disk for storing, the only way out is to have a disk that can hold more than 2 terabytes of data.

Can someone please tell me the size limit promox will allow to assign to a VM. In the case is less or equal to 2 Terabyte, what other choice I have.

Thank you for your reply. My real question is the following, a specific volume called volume3, how big can this volume3 be?. I know there is with VMWARE a limitation to 2 Terabyte per volume.

I just used google and found the following answer, I dont know if true:

• For 32-bit CPUs on 2.6 kernels, the maximum LV size is 16TB.
  • For 64-bit CPUs on 2.6 kernels, the maximum LV size is 8EB. (Yes, that is a very large number.)
  • For 2.4 based kernels, the maximum LV size is 2TB.

Last edited:
Sorry about asking you again, what will be the maximun size that can be assign to a VM.???

Thank you for the reply, would you mind telling me what do you mean by "underlying storage technology".

I have a SAN, and I normally create the volume in the SAN and assign to the proxmox machine using iscsi. My question is if I create a volume that is 3 terabytes big and assign to proxmox. My main goal is to assign this 3 terabyte volume to a specific VM. Will I be able to assign this volume to the VM..

Thank You in advance.

I tried this already without any luck. Here is what is happening.

I have an adaptec card with 8 HDDs of 1.5 Giga each. Because I cannot install proxmox into a partition larger than 2 Tera, what I did was created a RAID1 of 2 HDD, and the other 6 Disk created a partition of 4 Tera. Now the concern is the following. I need to assign this 4 Terabyte partition to specific VM. When I assign the 4 Terabyte to the VM the VM only sees 2 Terabyte, what can I do regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance for your response.

what VM did you try? should work.

ubuntu-with-4TB-disk.jpg

works here, see screenshot attached.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!