Make VM's accessible from outside using a domain

user000

Dec 10, 2022
Hello
I'm very new to proxmox and sorry if my question seems stupid. I setup a few windows-vm's and was wondering if i could somehow make them accessible from outside using a domain so that vmid1.example.com leads to vm1 and vmid2.example.com leads to vm2 while everything is on the same port.
Thanks

Hi there,

It's definitely possible to make your VM's accessible from outside using a domain. You will need to set up a DNS server that is configured to resolve your custom domains to the IP address of your Proxmox VM. Then, you will need to configure your firewall on the Proxmox host and router to accept and forward the incoming traffic on the desired port to the appropriate VM, if applicable.

If you have any issues setting this up, feel free to ask for help.

Good luck!

Hi there,

It's definitely possible to make your VM's accessible from outside using a domain. You will need to set up a DNS server that is configured to resolve your custom domains to the IP address of your Proxmox VM. Then, you will need to configure your firewall on the Proxmox host and router to accept and forward the incoming traffic on the desired port to the appropriate VM, if applicable.

If you have any issues setting this up, feel free to ask for help.

Good luck!
Could you maybe tell me a bit more on how to set up such a DNS server to resolve the domains?
Thank you

Could you maybe tell me a bit more on how to set up such a DNS server to resolve the domains?
Thank you
It depends on the domain name registrar of your domain, probably you just have to edit/add the DNS A records in the panel. Just follow one of the guides on Google after googling a phrase like "how to point a domain name to an IP address". Your domain name registrar may have such a guide too.
Example guides:

It depends on the domain name registrar of your domain, probably you just have to edit/add the DNS A records in the panel. Just follow one of the guides on Google after googling a phrase like "how to point a domain name to an IP address". Your domain name registrar may have such a guide too.
Example guides:
Thank you. Is it also possible to have different subdomains point to different vms on the same public ip? Some kind of proxy?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!