Make Two different Proxmox Lan's VMs to communicate with each other.

eveliou

Jul 1, 2023
I currently have two proxmox Metals in Scaleway Cloud. Yesterday I bought my second one but with the first one I didn't have any issue. So my setup in the first one is a pfsense firewall with a WAN and a LAN in 192.168.1.0/24. Now I introduced the second Metal and created another pfsense (I know it was not necessary but I did) and again WAN and LAN 192.168.2.0/24. I also have a feature called VPC where you connect the two metals in the same private network. I assign the metals to a private network and get both a Vlan id for both metals. Also I managed to connect the two metals by giving them IP addresses 10.10.10.2/24 and 10.10.10.3/24. Both metals can ping each other. My issue is that I cannot make the two LAN VMs ping each other. I know I can connect the two pfsense using VPN in their WAN but I don't want this in case that I can make it work directly internally. So what should I do, to make for example 192.168.1.5 VM in Metal 1 communicate with 192.168.2.2 VM in metal 2?

Ok I believe is this what you mean? I created the Vlan and then created a bridge on both metal for that Vlan. vmbr2. Is that ok?

metal 2.PNG

Attachments

• metal 1.PNG
    metal 1.PNG
    16.1 KB · Views: 15
I believe this vNICs should be created in each of my VMs right? I use only ubuntu 22. can you please give an example knowing my setup?

Last edited:
Add a new virtual network interface to each of your VMs that use vmbr2 as bridge device. Inside the VM you will then see a new network interface (probably ens19) that you can configure as you like (e.g. with IPs out of 10.10.10.0/24).

Add a new virtual network interface to each of your VMs that use vmbr2 as bridge device. Inside the VM you will then see a new network interface (probably ens19) that you can configure as you like (e.g. with IPs out of 10.10.10.0/24)
I believe that in the screenshot is what you mean, and also the netplan configuration in ubuntu. While attaching the new bridge, do i also have to add a vlan tag? Metal 1 VMs get the metal 1 vlan tag..metal 2 etc?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 10
Just a dumb question. The VMs now will be able to ping each other only with the IPs assigned to them from the new vmbr2. Is there any possibility i could configure these VMs to ping each other from the LAN IPs? 192.168.2.0/24 192.168.1.0/24 from vmbr0?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!