lxx Alma8 not available under proxmox 8.x ?

max2france

Renowned Member
Feb 10, 2016
Hello everyone,

My subject concerns the migration of lxc Alma8 to proxmox8

I have a lot of LXC under alma 8 and rocky linux 8.

I have to upgrade my proxmox to version 8 to be up to date.

And I'm surprised I can't find a version 8 model on the proxmox 8?

This means that to be up to date, I must migrate all my Alma8 to Alma9 to make them work on proxmox 8?

If so, help :(

Thanks for your help,
Max

You can migrate the Proxmox host to PVE8 and your current LXC will keep working. You will not be able to deploy new LXC with Almalinux8 on PVE8 as is. I had the same scenario some time ago with Ubuntu 16 CT's and the got migrated flawlessly to PVE7 (after enabling cgroup v1 on host, of course [1], don't think this is needed for Almalinux).

Maybe you can copy the Almalinux 8 template from a PVE7 host to PVE8 and maybe keep deploying new CTs with it, but no sure if it will work or if its supported. Templates are in template/cache in a the file storage where you store your templates (typically local, which is in /var/lib/vz/template/cache).

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container#_security_considerations

Last edited:
I tested a migration of an alma8 under proxmox 8, it works well but we cannot actually create a new lxc alma8 under proxmox 8, I imagine that this is to push us to rely only on the more recent version 9 .

Thank you for your response and have a good evening

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!