LXC vs VM for an OpenVPN server

alefello

Jul 27, 2022
Hello everybody
I want to setup an OpenVPN server to access my network from outside but I'm thinking about performance vs security.
I don't know if an unprivileged container is sufficiently secure comparing to a VM to run my OpenVPN server. Of course container is better for performance, but what about security? My doubt regards the /dev/tun device being created on the host and anyway sharing the kernel too.
Thank you

hi,

I don't know if an unprivileged container is sufficiently secure comparing to a VM to run my OpenVPN server. Of course container is better for performance, but what about security? My doubt regards the /dev/tun device being created on the host and anyway sharing the kernel too.
unless you're handing command shells on your VPN container to unknown people, it should be relatively safe to run a VPN server on an unprivileged container :)
i would just make sure that nothing else important runs on it (just make another container/VM).
you can take a look here if you decide to go with the container [0]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OpenVPN_in_LXC

The only security-concern I can think of at the top of my head is this:
A LX(C) container is more secure with respect to KSM (Kernel same page merging) attacks. In a VM another VM could an attacker get information about your used keys by running attacks against the latency of same-page-merged memory blocks.

You could also reduce the attack surface by reducing the memory and space consumption (less stuff is less vunerable). If you e.g. use Alpine Linux as the container OS, you will get a working OpenVPN server with about 32 MB of storage and also 16 MB of RAM. You could end up by having NO ports open besides OpenVPN and still have full firewalling capabilities inside of LXC.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!