[SOLVED] LXC: hardware drivers necessary on PVE host?

TheHellSite

Mar 4, 2020
Just a quick question (mainly) for the PVE developers.

When passing through a device to an LXC is it necessary to ALSO install the drivers for that device on the PVE host?
Or is it enough to install them in the LXC? (so the PVE host OS remains untouched)

I passed through the iGPU of my AMD APU to an LXC for hardware transcoding and it is basically working. What makes me wonder is that many other tutorials suggest to also install the drivers on the PVE host. Which I think is not necessary at all.

They don't say to also install it on the host, but to only install them on the host. Which is also kind of wrong if using LXCs, IMO.
they do say to install it on both:

1. Install the required drivers on the Proxmox host
4. Install the required drivers in your container.

one reason could be for nvidia, see the example config they have, which mounts devices from /dev/nvidia0 and so on. those may not be present without the driver -- though i'm not sure.

I passed through the iGPU of my AMD
but for that it's likely not necessary ^^

Reactions: TheHellSite

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!