LXC containers all have empty syslogs

JJB

May 11, 2016
Hi, I have a bunch of Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 lxc containers running, and every one of them has an empty /var/log/syslog file. Other files in the log directory like auth.log are fine. Is this normal? If so, is there a way I can enable syslogs to be written on each container?

syslog file was owned by root:root. Changed to syslog:adm and it seems to be ok now.

I have that problem on Ubuntu containers only.
Debian 8 template works fine.

You must chown for root:adm , and chmod the file (I have tested 777 with success, but I think it is possible with a lower value). And restart rsyslog

This is what i found on some Ubuntu post somewhere, and it works for me on Ubuntu 16.04 LXC containers

chown syslog:adm /var/log/syslog
chmod 644 /var/log/syslog

Reactions: Shankar and Uriy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!