LXC Container without network

Michael004

Sep 19, 2023
Hi,
I'm having an issue with the network connection of LXC containers. I tried different images without success.
I don't have this issue when creating VMs.
The only setting I change in the creation wizard is to unselect the "Unprivileged container" option.
After searching the forum, I read that I need to enable the nesting option. I did that but it didn't help.

These are the interfaces of PVE:
Code:
root@pve:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.178.76/24
        gateway 192.168.178.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

PCT config:
Code:
root@pve:~# pct config 104
arch: amd64
cores: 1
features: nesting=1
hostname: ct-debian
memory: 2048
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=AA:4B:11:38:80:DE,type=veth
ostype: debian
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-104-disk-0,size=8G
swap: 2048

ip a
Code:
root@ct-debian:~# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0@if76: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether aa:4b:11:38:80:de brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff link-netnsid 0

Last edited:
Hi,
2: eth0@if76: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000 link/ether aa:4b:11:38:80:de brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff link-netnsid 0
your interface inside the container is down and you have no IP address configured. So either change to use DHCP or set a static IP address by clicking on Network > net0 > Edit for the selected container. Also, don't forget to also set a default gateway if you set a static IP address.

Hi,

your interface inside the container is down and you have no IP address configured. So either change to use DHCP or set a static IP address by clicking on Network > net0 > Edit for the selected container. Also, don't forget to also set a default gateway if you set a static IP address.
Thank you Chris.
I changed the network settings into DHCP so I can manage the ip address in my router (fritzbox).
But now, when I start the container it stays forever in the step " Job networking.service/start running"
Am I missing another configuration?

Thank you Chris.
I changed the network settings into DHCP so I can manage the ip address in my router (fritzbox).
But now, when I start the container it stays forever in the step " Job networking.service/start running"
Am I missing another configuration?
Did you maybe also enable DHCPv6 while having no IPv6 DHCP server available?

Reactions: Michael004

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!