LXC and VM Resource management

LodgedDrip

Feb 26, 2021
Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to find out a bit more about how Proxmox manages the resource management when running containers and VMs on the same HV.

I've got a six+ node (48 Core, 64G each) PVE cluster with a range of VMs on it at the moment, however, I need to deploy an application which runs as a single systemd service so a whole VM just to do this is a bit overkill.

How does Proxmox handle running VMs (2/3 'beefy' ones given their nature) and then possible 10+ containers (1 core, 2G) each on the same node? what happens to resource usage across the two types, any priorities, what if usage spikes on an instance or VM etc? or would it just be recommended to only have one type per HV? so an HV for containers, one for VMs etc?

mixing vms/containers is not a problem and quite typical i'd say

so basically the only balancing is done by the kernel regarding threads/cpu

vms are started as a (multithreaded) single process, while containers are a group of normal processes (managed by the host kernel)

you can play with the 'cpu limit' and 'cpu units' options (the first limits the overall cpu use, and the second weights them relatively to each other)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!