LVM volume mounts fine after startup, but not before

anderstn

Dec 22, 2020
Hi

I recently replaced the USB drive I'm running proxmox from with a much larger one. So I set aside a bit of space on the new one for ISO files by adding a new lvm thin volume inside the main lvm volume. However when i try to mount this during boot it fails. Since everything, including my fstab settings, work fine post launch I'm not sure exactly what is failing here.

This is the error I get during post:
20231119_124636 (Custom).jpg

This is the volumes I have in the system:
1700395689490.png

This is my fstab file:
1700395705093.png

Given that everything works once the machine has booted, I suspect there may be some sort of issue with the root volume not being properly mounted before fstab tries to mount the data volume, but to be perfectly honest I have no clue if that is true as I have never seen this exact error message in the past. Regardless if that is the case or not any help in understanding what is going wrong here and how I can fix it would be appreciated =)

Last edited:
I found a possible solution in the suse support forums. I might try it later. That said it would be good to have verified that the issue here is actually just a matter of the second lvm volume not being "available" soon enough when the deamon that mounts filesystems is attempting to mount it. So any input is still very much welcome =)

Suse support article:
https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000018841

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!