LVM on shared storage

l.mierzwa

Jun 2, 2009
Hi,

I really don't recommend using LVM on shared storage (iscsi, fc etc.) without using CLVM. My cluster was up for 90 days, during that I've created many new kvm virtual machines, after live migrating one machine that was created recently it crashed, I've restarted it and I got different virtual machine booting up, after moving my virtual machine back to original host it booted ok so I guess that there has been some differences in how host sees lvm metadata. I've made backup of all my virtual machines, shut down iscsi, setup clvm and set my iscsi volume group to be clustered, 3 virtual machines were lost because after restarting iscsi lvm volumes they where using was empty (no partitions or bad partition table). If anyone is using LVM on top of shared storage please backup everything and setup clvm.

Hi,
i use shared lvm-storage (fc) since proxmox support it, without problems (on different FC-Raids/Luns).
Only on top on drdb i must save the lv's from on node if the drbd out of sync (power supply fails). But thats normal...

But i don't have experience with iScsi (only short tests).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!