LUN does not appear in my cluste.

Torrazka

Oct 10, 2023
Hello team! I have a question. Does anyone know how to activate the LUN? Does it appear inactive when I add it to my CLUSTER?
Regards!

1713410162075.png

As far as I can see your setup appears normal & correct.

The 2 iSCSI shared LUNs are picked up on all nodes (Pikachuxxxxxx...)

The LVMs of the LUNs on the other hand (LUNPROXMOX01 & 02) can only be accessed by one node at a time.

The reason for this is that iSCSI LVM is a RAW shared storage so it is different from other types of shared storage, since it can only be accessed by one HOST/NODE at a time. There is no FS on it that is cluster-aware that actively maintains the coordination.

PVE will manage/activate the volume (LVM) on its own. So if you migrate/move a VM from one node that uses that volume to another node, the volume will then be activated on the target node & deactivated on the source node.

In short: The PVE backend itself implements proper cluster-wide locking.

In your case, it is interesting that the first LVM called LUNPROXMOX01 shows as active on all nodes, I'm guessing this is because it hasn't yet been actively accessed to by any node, as opposed to the second LVM called LUNPROXMOX02 which probably has already been accessed by your RAICHU node. This probably has to do with the storage types you have chosen in PVE for that LVM. Maybe you added a rootdir type to LUNPROXMOX02 as opposed to LUNPROXMOX01 which you did not. IDK, but its probably something like that. Maybe a reboot will change the situation.

LVM iSCSI sharing is often misunderstood by many. Search these forums.

Do note that LVM storage does not support snapshots.

See also docs.

Please note: I don't use iSCSI - but this is what I've learned in my time using PVE.

Reactions: Torrazka
As far as I can see your setup appears normal & correct.

The 2 iSCSI shared LUNs are picked up on all nodes (Pikachuxxxxxx...)

The LVMs of the LUNs on the other hand (LUNPROXMOX01 & 02) can only be accessed by one node at a time.

The reason for this is that iSCSI LVM is a RAW shared storage so it is different from other types of shared storage, since it can only be accessed by one HOST/NODE at a time. There is no FS on it that is cluster-aware that actively maintains the coordination.

PVE will manage/activate the volume (LVM) on its own. So if you migrate/move a VM from one node that uses that volume to another node, the volume will then be activated on the target node & deactivated on the source node.

In short: The PVE backend itself implements proper cluster-wide locking.

In your case, it is interesting that the first LVM called LUNPROXMOX01 shows as active on all nodes, I'm guessing this is because it hasn't yet been actively accessed to by any node, as opposed to the second LVM called LUNPROXMOX02 which probably has already been accessed by your RAICHU node. This probably has to do with the storage types you have chosen in PVE for that LVM. Maybe you added a rootdir type to LUNPROXMOX02 as opposed to LUNPROXMOX01 which you did not. IDK, but its probably something like that. Maybe a reboot will change the situation.

LVM iSCSI sharing is often misunderstood by many. Search these forums.

Do note that LVM storage does not support snapshots.

See also docs.

Please note: I don't use iSCSI - but this is what I've learned in my time using PVE.
Thank you very much for the comment and your support, the strange thing is that when I restart the nodes they access the LUN without any problem and that "?" In the nodes it appears as if all the LUNS were active. I thought I would have to give it some command to activate the second LUN in all the proxmox, or at least so that it can be seen as active.

Regards!!

Your welcome, as I said PVE backend will handle activation on an "as-needed-policy".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!