Low Availability VM Fallover

jamesarbrown

Feb 21, 2023
Is there a method for just 2 servers, low low availabilty.

Such if a VM is down on node1, it spins up the last storage replication and VM on node 2. Even if within 10 minutes will be good enough. The Vms only have kubernetes on there with all storage on an NFS server, so the images are pretty static.

Tried using HA, but with 2 nodes can confirm pulling the ethernet on one node infact crashed and rebooted the other...... didnt look too far into that as I know its not supported.

I guess I can use a Pi as Qdevice... but its just getting messy for no reason.

Tried using HA, but with 2 nodes can confirm pulling the ethernet on one node infact crashed and rebooted the other...... didnt look too far into that as I know its not supported.

This is due to the node losing quorum and then fencing itself - you can read more about it in our docs [1]. This would be resolved by using a QDevice and is probably the most straightforward way of solving your problem.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#ha_manager_fencing

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!