Looking for LOM/ lights out option for proxmox

sublightnova

May 30, 2022
My current server has no GPU.. I had only limited PCIE-X ports available and they are taken.
yesterday I messed up the network config by changing something I thought was harmless... Obviously I couldn't SSH in anymore... Having to pull out one of my PCIE-cards, put back in a GPU, fix the problem, and revert.

So I'm looking for an option to serial/other means login to my server without network services etc being up... More like a LOM solution.

Not this server is just a homelab ryzen system but is working absolutely fantastic outside this very troubling issue.

I have a DIY pikvm setup that is connected to an 8 port kvm switch to add sorta a poor-man's IPMI to some of my servers that are too old for the virtual console in their IPMI to work with a modern browser.

I have been thinking of keeping this setup and possibly adding a second one if and when I do my next round of updates as to avoid the issues with on-board IPMI as I tend to use older enterprise hardware that have issues with working on a modern browser

Yeah I wouldn't like to go full multi port KVM as it is only 1 server and I only need some way to get the Console to display.. I just have a regular keyboard/mouse hooked up...

Then you go just buy or built a pi based kvm and hook it upto your server for a solution.

Yeah... that was what I was thinking as well as a possible option.. Just wasn't sure what soltions people came up with.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!