Load Balancing with IPVS

msmart

Jun 24, 2010
I am trying to setup a KVM virtual machine to act as a load balancer. I have installed and configured IPVS and Piranha on a RHEL 6 guest but it fails to forward requests to the "real servers". Logs only say: nanny[1917]: READ to SERVER:pORT timed out. I assume that routing is the issue here but have no idea where to start looking for the solution. Anyone gotten LVS nodes running on virtual machines before?

Thanks,

I've used heartbeat + ldirectord in NAT mode for load balancers under debian squeeze inside a KVM VM on Proxmox.
Also used virtual IP addresses with hearbeat and Nginx on two KVM VMs as an HA reverse proxy.

Your problem is not Proxmox/KVM.

Did you enable IP forwarding in /etc/sysctl.conf?

I think you are correct that this is not a vm issue. Went back to basics and performed a test by balancing port 80 and it worked just fine. I am trying to load balance a pool of DNS servers and it is failing on port 53 for some reason. I have deployed dozens of LVS instances in the last couple years but this is the first DNS load balancer I have ever tried. Maybe there is something special about port 53 or dns traffic in general? Just odd.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!