Load balancing virtual machines

mank

Jun 8, 2023
My Proxmox host has multiple NICs and I can make changes to the physical networking if required.
I have used VmWare earlier but I am new to Proxmox & KVM, thus also challenged with the virtual networking in this environment.

Here's what I am trying to achieve:

Setup 2 virtual machines, both using Ubuntu 20.xx as guest O/S and providing Squid proxy service.
The idea is to load balance the web traffic from client desktops and other end-points to both the Squid proxy servers.
So I plan to point all client devices to a virtual IP to use a proxy service, that would be really served by the IP addresses assigned to the Squid proxy server VMs
The challenge is to create client IP based restrictions (ACLs) on both the Squid proxy servers, and get the actual client IP address in the logs.

Can this challenge be met?
I am wondering if - I should use Linux Virtual Server (ipvs) on the Proxmox host, or should i create another guest VM as a load balancer?

Wish this post catches attention of the awesome hacks here.

Thanks in advance.
P.s. If this appears doable, let's create a "HowTo" so one may upgrade / replace VMs in-production without users experiencing any down-time.

Last edited:
I don't really understand what difference PVE and VMware networking do have? In the end your vms on a VMware setup must already have some vrrp / virtual ip stuff in place because I am not aware why your hypervisor should do that for you at all.

I don't really understand what difference PVE and VMware networking do have? In the end your vms on a VMware setup must already have some vrrp / virtual ip stuff in place because I am not aware why your hypervisor should do that for you at all.
I am not expecting the hypervisor to do it.
The main question here is:
"How would you load balance traffic to the virtual machines such that the network application running on the VMs "sees" the actual client IP"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!