Linux Servers not saving new setting.

VMhomebox

Jul 9, 2023
So, my last post never got any kind of responces, so here I am back again.

Please note, that I have an old server and a new one I am going to be replacing.

My old Proxmox server is 5.0-30, while my new server is 8.0.3

So, on my old Server I am having issues with updating settings with Open Media Vault, where I can not run updates, change web interface settings or change the password.

And with my new box, I have been trying to install Smooth Wall Express 3.1 SP4, this will not keep the network card settings apon reboot, I have tried setting up both OS's on bare metail and I do not have these issue.

Any idea from anyone on here, as to what might ben going on?

I'll link my other post here

**Update**

So anyone coming across this, no this iusse has not been fixed and as to what is going on.

No idea.

Attachments

• ovmerror03.JPG
    ovmerror03.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 15
  • ovmerror02.JPG
    ovmerror02.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 15
  • ovmerror01.JPG
    ovmerror01.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 16
  • smoothwall 5 error.PNG
    smoothwall 5 error.PNG
    163.8 KB · Views: 16
  • smoothwall 6 error.PNG
    smoothwall 6 error.PNG
    61.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
In one image, there is "no space left on the device" displayed, maybe check this.
I have done yes, please see attached.

With OMV the OS only has 8GB while all the 'data' is kept on a second disk image, that is always fine.

I should had that both VM are having the same issue, both do not allow for changes to the OS.

Attachments

• ovmerror04.JPG
    ovmerror04.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
What else do you need?
Anything useful. Just a screenshot with an error message is simply not enough.

Try to set something in the system via a cli way so we have a command and the corresponding error message.

All screenshots look like a very old linux and on their webpage, the last version is from 2014, is this correct? I cannot recommend running such an old software especially for security purposes.

Anything useful. Just a screenshot with an error message is simply not enough.

Try to set something in the system via a cli way so we have a command and the corresponding error message.

All screenshots look like a very old linux and on their webpage, the last version is from 2014, is this correct? I cannot recommend running such an old software especially for security purposes.

As said in my first post, I am using SmoothWall Express 3.1, I have tried both the base and the latest SP4 Build.

All have the same reaction, I go through setup, reboot and I get that nic error. I find I have to reapply the network card settings and then its all good.

I have tried that cli command and all I get is an error.

Also 2018, however once I can get red working, the follow up update will go as high as 2020.

-

So, I have attached the log files, now this is in a fresh install and I have rebooted the system once and had to do the network card settings. And yes I have gotten the same error as before.

The Smoothwall 5 error file from my first post.

Attachments

• kernel.txt
    106.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Smoothwall.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
There is no error reported there, but shown that this software should never be used for something security related, it's just too darn old.

There is no error reported there, but shown that this software should never be used for something security related, it's just too darn old.
Well as I said before, on bare metail this works just fine, that includes running updates, however trying to run it on a VM, nope.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!