Linux Samba server or LXC Container?

baron164

Jan 16, 2024
I have unutilized storage on my Proxmox hosts and I want to utilize some of it for a samba share. I would normally just create a new Linux server with a virtual disk and make it a samba server. But I see that Proxmox has the ability to do containers, so I am wondering if I should instead of building a vm for samba access, build a container instead?

I am not familiar with how containers in Proxmox work but I am interested and willing to learn.

I would normally just create a new Linux server with a virtual disk and make it a samba server.
Bear in mind that using a container won't create any separation...what I have done is to use OpenMediaVault which is based on Debian...it's lightweight VM on Proxmox

Reactions: baron164
Bear in mind that using a container won't create any separation...what I have done is to use OpenMediaVault which is based on Debian...it's lightweight VM on Proxmox

Thanks, how does OpenMediaVault compare to something like TrueNAS Core (FreeNAS)?

Thanks, how does OpenMediaVault compare to something like TrueNAS Core (FreeNAS)?
TrueNAS only supports ZFS. So you have to keep ZFS recommendations in mind like NO hardware raid, lots of (preferably ECC) RAM, no consumer SSDs and especially not QLC NAND nor HDDs using shingled magnetic recording.
So TrueNAS is probably the worst option if you just want something lightweight and simple.

Last edited:
Why is this? Can't you just backup the complete container to PBS?
You can, but each time you will have to read the full size of that LXC as only VMs could make use of dirty-bitmapping. So backing up a VMs would be way faster. Lets say you want to share 1TB of data and your data only changes 1GB between backups. An LXC would always need to read the full 1TB. A VM only needs to read the 1GB that changed and could ignore the other 999GB.

Last edited:
Hi, my current situation is this

- My Samba server should be lightweight because the disk containing the files would be mounted externally
- I backup my files with rsync (no PBS)

I don't know whether to install samba on an Ubuntu or LXC virtual machine
I would like to understand
Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Forgive my poor English
I need to install samba on an Ubuntu VM or an Ubuntu LXC
considering what was written previously

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!