L3 cache importance

Robstarusa

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2009
Hello,

I am going to be running a 4 server cluster with shared NFS filesystem (possibly on one node, possibly on a 5th node...).

I have some quite old cpu's, except for one I traded for:

Currently only "new" cpu: athlon ii x4 620
Old: be-2350, amd 4850e, amd 5050e.

Proposed new processors:
Either amd 910e (~ $190 USD) or 605e ( ~ $155)

My other thought was to get something like 2 405e's and one 965 (and keep it underclocked/undervolted).

I cannot find linux/kvm benchmarks comparing these two. Is it worth it to pay a premium for phenom ii or should I stick with athlon ii? I prefer the low power usage if possible.

I'd like to see how say, the 965 reacts vs the 620 when trying to run, say 16-32 vms' on 8G ram. Is the 965 able to do it at a decent speed where the 620 is not?

How is the performance of the vm's under some load?

I'd like to see how say, the 965 reacts vs the 620 when trying to run, say 16-32 vms' on 8G ram. Is the 965 able to do it at a decent speed where the 620 is not?

How is the performance of the vm's under some load?
Hi,
i think such an test is impossible. It's depends highly of the vm (openvz/kvm and what usage).
Imho are 8G ram for 16-32 vm's pretty insufficient. On our two produktionservers are app. nine vms on each node (kvm) and we have 16GB. But i have reserves (to get all vms on one node, if i had trouble with one). Some more vms are ok but 16 not.
Most important than cpu-power is the IO - good raid with fast sas-disk, good NIC, perhaps FC-San makes more differents as the switch from 620 to 965 (imho).
The motherboards has ddr3-ecc-ram - this gives also an performance benefit (ddr3 not ecc - but i don't know exacty how much).

Udo

I'm using only KVM (as I use more than just linux) with the new kernel with KSM.

My proxmox cluster will be made up of multiple SSD's (Intel/OCZ) over nfs with bonded gigabit ethernet.
Backups will happen nightly to a repo of

My vm's (to start with) will consist of

3 internal nameservers (probably 256 ram ea.)
1 openbsd firewall (256 ram is plenty)
1 local ubuntu repository (512 ram)
2 public authoritative dns servers (256 ram ea) - non recursive
1 public non-auth recursive nameserver (256)
1-4 desktop machines with different distros to play with (perhaps 512M-1G ram ea)
1 asterisk server (256 ram -- no transcoding)
1 vpn server (256 ram)
1 very light web/db server (512 ram)

That is 15 boxes with under 8G ram before considering KSM memory reduction

About 6 of those currently exist & I see 50-75% cpu usage on the host (of 1 core) all the time...I'd like to reduce this significantly.

I'm using only KVM (as I use more than just linux) with the new kernel with KSM.

My proxmox cluster will be made up of multiple SSD's (Intel/OCZ) over nfs with bonded gigabit ethernet.
Backups will happen nightly to a repo of

My vm's (to start with) will consist of

3 internal nameservers (probably 256 ram ea.)
1 openbsd firewall (256 ram is plenty)
1 local ubuntu repository (512 ram)
2 public authoritative dns servers (256 ram ea) - non recursive
1 public non-auth recursive nameserver (256)
1-4 desktop machines with different distros to play with (perhaps 512M-1G ram ea)
1 asterisk server (256 ram -- no transcoding)
1 vpn server (256 ram)
1 very light web/db server (512 ram)

That is 15 boxes with under 8G ram before considering KSM memory reduction

About 6 of those currently exist & I see 50-75% cpu usage on the host (of 1 core) all the time...I'd like to reduce this significantly.
Hi,
your vms have a small footprint - so perhaps you are lucky with "only" 8GB Ram.
Do you think it's the right way to use the fast ssd via nfs? nfs is not realy known for top-speed, but i'm using nfs only for sharing home-dirs. I think iscsi was a better solution but my iscsi-tests are also not the best (i stay on FC-SAN - perhaps it's change with 10G-ethernet).

I quite agree with you, that 50-75% constant cpu-usage is too much. But the different in price between a 620 and 965 are not to much - so i will take the 965. I advise a quad (or six) core, because of the better virtualisation support - it's possible to use hardware-virtualisation in a kvm-guest.

Udo

the 620/965 dont' have much price difference, but I'm really interested in the 45W quad cores. I have 4 boxes, and the "server room" is in a basement with the furnace that heats the house. With 3 45W cpu's right now it is around 70-80F (21-28C I think).

I'd really like to keep the power usage low(er) if possible.

the 620/965 dont' have much price difference, but I'm really interested in the 45W quad cores. I have 4 boxes, and the "server room" is in a basement with the furnace that heats the house. With 3 45W cpu's right now it is around 70-80F (21-28C I think).

I'd really like to keep the power usage low(er) if possible.
Hi,
you are right to save energy. But if you get a 965, you have also the cpu-power if you need them.
I measure the overall power-consumption of one of the proxmox-server:
round 258 Watt without significant load up to 313 Watt at full load (4 kvms are gzip /dev/null and a pveperf to make driveusage).
I think it's not too bad, for a system with 16GB Ram, Raidcontroller, 2 NICs, FC-Controller, 2 Sata-Disks and four SAS-Disk and the Dual-Powersupply.

To compare this with another CPU isn't easy, i have the same motherbord, but not the same disks to test.
Perhaps you get the same powerconsumption as the old boxes with a bigger cpu due to better (in meaning of power saving) disks,motherbord and powersupply?

Udo

Very interesting. I am pretty sure my 5050e/4850e/2350 are all around 100W under load ea.

Also: What coolNQuiet steppings do the 965/955 support?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!