KVM Migration Question

dal.01

Jan 6, 2012
Hello all.

Every time that I have posted here, I have received awesome help and everyone was very kind. I am back with another question for you guys, Im pretty new at virtualization so be kind if this seems like an easy answer to some.

I have just built a new PM box (PM_NEW IP:10.10.1.7). This box is completely separate from another PM box, but on the same network. I have an already running (PM_OLD IP:10.10.1.250) that I need to take a KVM from and move it to PM_NEW. Is this possible? Is there an easy way to do this? Do you guys need anymore information from me?

Again thanks for all the help.

running into an issue.

here is the log file of the attempted vzdump. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Mar 15 15:25:01 INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (qemu)Mar 15 15:25:01 INFO: running
Mar 15 15:25:01 INFO: status = running
Mar 15 15:25:01 INFO: backup mode: stop
Mar 15 15:25:01 INFO: ionice priority: 7
Mar 15 15:25:02 INFO: stopping vm
Mar 15 15:35:02 INFO: wait failed - got timeout
Mar 15 15:35:02 ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command 'qm --skiplock shutdown 101 && qm wait 101 600' failed with exit code 255

you VM seems to ignore acpi shutdown from the backup tool.

stop your VM and try again.

Thanks Tom for the quick reply. The above error log was an attempt to do a vzdump while the server was shut off. While waiting for a reply I tried a vzdump again, only this time I selected snapshot and got this error:

Mar 15 15:35:02 INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (qemu)Mar 15 15:35:03 INFO: running
Mar 15 15:35:03 INFO: status = running
Mar 15 15:35:03 INFO: backup mode: stop
Mar 15 15:35:03 INFO: ionice priority: 7
Mar 15 15:35:03 INFO: stopping vm
Mar 15 15:45:03 INFO: wait failed - got timeout
Mar 15 15:45:04 ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command 'qm --skiplock shutdown 101 && qm wait 101 600' failed with exit code 255

alright, another update.

After following Toms suggestion, I turned off the vm, reset the backup time and then looked at the results. It "seemed" to work. What is the ~time it would take to backup a vm? Does it depend on the size of the vm? The reason why I ask is that I now see a .dat file on the share but the .dat file is only 0kb and there is a folder the dump created and inside that folder there is a file labeled "qemu-server.conf" and that file is only 1kb. Any thoughts?

Does it depend on the size of the vm? The reason why I ask is that I now see a .dat file on the share but the .dat file is only 0kb and there is a folder the dump created and inside that folder there is a file labeled "qemu-server.conf" and that file is only 1kb. Any thoughts?

Yes, it depends on the size. And the first step is to scan the file to detect holes, so it takes some time until some data arrives at the disk.

dietmar,

You were correct, it did take a while for the data to arrive. Now the next step is to take that vzdump and migrate it to the new proxmox box.

Thanks again everyone for all of the help!!!

Sorry for the double post, but is there a reason why when I went though the website to my old proxmox box to make the vzdum, the file that it created was a .DAT file instead of .tar?

disregard last question, it seems as though the data is still transferring, but I guess I still do have a question though; will the .dat file then turn into a .tar?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!