kvm image import

dazza76

Renowned Member
May 25, 2010
I am feeling like a noob as i have not had much experience with kvm.
I note there is not feature for importing existing images to Kvm virtual machines
is this a missing feature or am i just an id10t

also if somebody could provide me with the command to add an image to a VM it would be appreciated

Thanks

D

Hi, I just created new Proxmox VE Virtual machine and trying to import from KVM, but there is no such option for this in Proxmox Webmanagement on Proxmox ver. 4.4.x.

How can I import KVM image from KVM to Proxmox VE? There is nothing in webmanagement like this. I use qcow2 format images.

create an empty VM, put the qcow2 image in the right location on a directory storage, run "qm rescan VMID", add the disk from "unused0" to whatever you want in the VM's hardware tab.

It did not help. Only option is to create empty image file. I am unable to add there exactly that image I want. If I create an empty image, then I rewrite the empty image with that one I want to import, so however it does not work because VM won't start. qm rescan --vmid <number> does not solve my problem.

Edit: It is working already! I used to have .img files, so I renamed them to .qcow2 and it is now visible in proxmox. Excelent! Proxmox is very smart and intuitive in such situations. Thank you very much for qm rescan advice. ;-)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!