KVM does not show up after reboot

xtc

Apr 25, 2008
Hi everybody!

I installed Proxmox VE for testing with one VE out of the debian template and another one with a debian etch net-install iso image.
until there everything went o.k..

after i rebooted the main system, die VE within the container is coming up as expected. the KVM VE seems to be up also:

/usr/bin/kvm -monitor pty -vnc unix:/tmp/qemu-server-vnc-102.socket

but it does not show up in the web-frontend.

Update ->

Update.

This only happens, when mixed VMs are set to automatic boot on startup.
When I deactivate the container/openvz based VEs, the KVM/Qemu VMs are coming up after rebooting the main system.

Update.

This only happens, when mixed VMs are set to automatic boot on startup.
When I deactivate the container/openvz based VEs, the KVM/Qemu VMs are coming up after rebooting the main system.

hi!

I tried to reproduce this but here it works as expected:

I tested with:
Mainboard: INTEL S3210SHLC
CPU: INTEL XEON X3220
RAM: 8 GB

what hardware do you use? (cpu/mainboard)
do you have enough ram?
are there any useful logs (see /var/log/syslog)?

Hardware

Hi,

in my testing environment i am using an ASUS W32MN Mainboard, 3GB RAM, AMD x64 5200, one SATA harddisk, onboard ethernet (broadcom chipset).

for now i had to give away the testmachine. when i get it back, i will try to setup everything with a second network card.

i found also, that when i restart one of the virtual environments, the bridge is resetting and the whole machine is offline for a few seconds (about 20 to 30 secs). potentially enough time to call me and get users to worry ;-)

so the next setup will be with additionally network card(s).
i think, one "main", one for KVM based VMs and one for openVZ based VEs should be allright.

i found also, that when i restart one of the virtual environments, the bridge is resetting and the whole machine is offline for a few seconds (about 20 to 30 secs). potentially enough time to call me and get users to worry ;-)

I also noticed such delays with e1000 intel network cards. Using a cheap rtl8192 card solved the issue - dont know why.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!