KVM disks and the new storage model

andrea

Sep 18, 2009
Roma, Italy
www.mediatouch.it
With the new storage model, now it seems possible to store KVM virtual disk over LVM group, so we tried to add a freshly created LVM Volume Group to a new LVM storage, say "virtdisks".

When creating a KVM virtual machine, it is then possible to use "virtdisks" as virtual disk storage. We noticed each disk created is a logical volume: as any logical volume we supposed it should be easily resizable, but there is no way to do this using the proxmox interface. However , we are able to increase the disk-logical volume from the console, but no changes appear in the proxmox interface.

I'm not sure if there are things we are missing (probably yes, we are quite new with KVM and proxmox as well), so we are thinking logical volumes as virtual disk could be a easy way to enlarge virtual disks. Are we wrong?

Many thanks,
Andrea

I'm not sure if there are things we are missing (probably yes, we are quite new with KVM and proxmox as well), so we are thinking logical volumes as virtual disk could be a easy way to enlarge virtual disks. Are we wrong?

No, resizing should be no problem. But is is not implemented in the web interface, and maybe the old size is just cached somewhere.

Thanks Dietmar. Indeed we was able to resize the logical volumes, but changes was not reflected on the web interface. Would be great to know where PVE stores web interface data: no browser F5 nor CTRL+F5 or apache restart let the interface show the new disk sizes.

Would be great to know where PVE stores web interface data: no browser F5 nor CTRL+F5 or apache restart let the interface show the new disk sizes.

We do not store that data - instead, this seems to be cached somewhere. I guess we should simplay add a 'refresh' button/menu somewhere.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!