KVM and external mount backup

stef1777

Jan 31, 2010
Hello!

I'm running pve 1.8 on a Dell R510 with 2 raid array. One with promox, and a second array mounted on a VM.

I've a KMV host running Debian 6 with 2 disk. One qcow2 and one special mount of a dedicated local partition (/dev/sdb1 on the server running proxmox). Both using VIRTUO driver.

When I try to backup the VM, the backup seems to freeze. The backup are stored using NFS on an external NAS. The VM and the second disk are small for this test.

I found this in the backup directory:

-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 403685376 Feb 8 14:26 vzdump-qemu-109-2012_02_08-14_25_02.dat
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nogroup 4096 Feb 8 14:25 vzdump-qemu-109-2012_02_08-14_25_02.tmp

Nothing move after half an hour and no log. I tried to backup the VM running or offline. Same problem.

Does someone have an idea where to look for the errors?

Do we have the possibility to say to the backup script to do not backup the second mounted disk?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• mount.png
    mount.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 6
the backup process scan the block devices before it start. therefore you do not see any progress in the backup dir.

but as you got a huge disk its probably MUCH better to do NOT backup this via vzdump.

edit the VMID.conf file and add backup=no:

... /deb/sdb1,backup=no

Thanks Tom for the tip. I don't want to backup the big disk as well. I will try with the new setup.

Seems the process is blocked. Running for 2 hours now and no change.

root 3096 3034 0 14:25 ? 00:00:00 sh -c /usr/lib/qemu-server/vmtar '/mnt/pve/Backup-VZDump/vzdump-qemu-109-2012_02_08-14_25_02.tmp/qemu-server.con
root 3097 3096 97 14:25 ? 01:18:43 /usr/lib/qemu-server/vmtar /mnt/pve/Backup-VZDump/vzdump-qemu-109-2012_02_08-14_25_02.tmp/qemu-server.conf qemu-

Do you now where to look for log? Nothing found in /var/log. It can be interesting to know why the backup is frozen.

scanning 6 TB is a huge task so its just takes hours. just kill the task.

Ok, I'll do that.

A litle advice if you can. Is my setup the best?

In promxox, I created sdb1 with parted, mklabel gpt, mkpart, qm set

In the vm, parted, mklabel gbt, mkpart, lvm create & co, and mount

I have to do a second time mklabel gbt and mkpart inside the VM. I don't now why the first parted was not recognized!

All seems fine, but if a better method exist, I take it. ;-)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!